Saturday, March 20, 2010

12 Weekends in D.C.

I've always said, "New York is a great place to visit." And I mean that because despite the multitude of things you can do year-round in the Big Apple, you can still get jaded with not only the city itself, but also other cities you visit when you realize they don't have the same level of amenities and hours of being open that New York does. I think living in D.C. as opposed to N.Y. appeals to many a people for the small fact that N.Y. is just a 3 hour's trip away when you just want to get away.

Got me to thinking, how do people feel about occasionally visiting D.C.? And see, therein lies a difference. Let's just say for an entire year you visited N.Y. once a month for a weekend. N.Y. is so large that even after this year, you would still feel like you only scratched the tip of the iceberg of what you could do, or what you could have done each weekend. Put another way, there is no one best thing to do in N.Y. on a given Saturday. There are a number of things you could do that you would have a riot of a time at. I'm not sure the same can be said for D.C. Given 12 weekends in D.C. (one a month), I feel that not only would you pretty much have a grasp on what there is to do in the City, but also target the best thing to do each weekend you're there. So, of course I made a list. Tell me what you think.

(in no particular order)

  • Cherry Blossoms & Monuments/Museums
  • Early Nationals Game; Late Lunch on Barracks Row; Walk though historic Capitol Hill to H Street for dinner & nightlife
  • Georgetown & Waterfront Cruise (show at the Kennedy Center?)
  • D.C. Nightlife - Adams Morgan/U Street/Dupont Circle/Penn Quarter (Wizards or Caps game?)
  • Trip out to a couple of the wineries in Virginia
  • Trip out to Baltimore
  • Weekend doing stuff in the MD 'burbs (Bethesda, Silver Spring, Wheaton, Rockville, etc.)
  • Weekend doing stuff in the VA 'burbs (R-B-C corridor, Tysons Corner, Falls Church, Annandale, etc.)
  • Historic Anacostia & Smithsonian overstock warehouse in Suitland
  • Biking/walking the trails (Rock Creek, GW Parkway, Capital Crescent

...and that's my point, I could only come up with 10. I'm sure spur of the moment things/events might come up to fill the void, but even after that, you pretty much get the idea of D.C.

Like I said, if ya'll know anything else that should be included, Let me know.

Cheers.

No comments: