Monday, October 29, 2007

CtrlX&CtrlV

I was skeptical…

She and I shared mutual friends and acquaintances. We were, at one point, part of the same post-college community, but her crowd was not mine. Furthermore, given my initial impression of her popular, lemon-lime personality, it was clear to me that we were simply not meant to have had anything more between us. Then, about a month ago, I read her blog.

I was interested.

Well, it wasn’t necessarily her who specifically interested me, but I was intrigued nonetheless. I don’t know if it was the obligation I felt to travel while in Europe or if it was just my personal desire to indulge in my curiosity about graphic design, and more importantly, photography, but I knew for certain that I would attend.

“one ticket for..."


If you want a detailed explanation of the competition, go here: http://www.cutandpaste.com/events/tournament.html. Otherwise, here's the short of it. Eight contestants were selected for each of 11 cities across the globe (NY, SF, Seattle, Chicago, Portland, Boston, London, Berlin, Tokyo, Hong Kong and Sydney). The contestants are given 15 minutes to create a graphic design about a given theme, live in front of a packed venue (holding upwards of 500 or so people). There are 3 rounds and each round has a different theme--8 are winnowed to 4, then to 2 from which 1 is chosen to be the winner. The winners for each round are chosen by a panel of judges (the judges for each city belong to the city's respective graphic design scene...I believe).

The place was about half full when I arrived at the stated time of the start of the competition. The lower level had a stage to the front and a bar to the rear. On the stage were four graphic design stations for the contestants to craft their 15 minute masterpieces upon. Each station was also wired to a large suspended flat screen monitor for the crowd to witness the crafting of the masterpieces before their very eyes. Upstairs, in addition to another bar, they had these Adobe workstations, similar to the ones used by the contestants, where those in attendance could try their hand at graphic design. There was also I believe a "side-bar" competition for such "amateurs" (and the not-so-amateurs) to submit their drawings from the demo workstations upstairs. Close to the actual start of the competition, the place was packed.

Seeing that this was the first ever Cut and Paste in a country where English was not the first language, I wondered if the host(s) would be speaking in English or German (or both). I figured one of the people I met earlier would know, so I headed to the area by the stage to see if I recognized someone. By chance I ran into one of the contestants. He was a Frenchman by the name of Oliver (pronounced “O-liv-E-A”). According to the Cut and Paste booklet:

Born in Austria in 1974. After being a mathematic and graphic designer, I began using video tools to show my works in 2001. My specialty is performing live acts with musicians although I work for theater and sometimes VJ in discotheques. In 2006, I moved to Berlin to meet people and build new projects with new ideas.

The funny thing is, he ultimately won the competition.


Sorry for the spoiler, but the fact that you bear witness to the creative process is the true star of this contest moreso than the end results. See, while the actual drawings were amazing in and of themselves, the coolest part was watching the idea develop in front of your eyes, from inception to conception. Many of the times, they would start with the oddest part of the drawing, and the whole idea wouldn’t come together until the very end. Sometimes, you would get where they were going with the design, and then be amazed how they took it to the next level. In every case, it was utterly mind-opening/blowing to see the techniques behind how the images that you see on little 4x6 cardstock flyers, and take for granted as being generated by either some computer or some marketing department, are actually created...in 15 minutes much less. I’m sure some of the graphic designers in attendance, picked up on some shortcuts as well.

I actually talked with some graphic designers there to get their take on the competition (and yes, I have them on tape). While some did say there was more creativity last year than this year as a lot of people’s drawings this year were too “mainstream” (don't quote me but I think this refers to creating an eye-popping design with clean lines and flashy colors...as opposed to pushing the envelope), most were just as utterly enthralled as I was to watch these experts in action. I then explained my take on how next year will probably be their biggest year (third annual), at which time it would then be super mainstream. Sort of like Shayla's 3-Friday rule for how parties pop off in Tallahassee.
  • 1st night – the lure of happy hour or cheap drinks, brings lots of women
  • 2nd night – due to the inexpensive yet jovial atmosphere of the 1st night, many of the chicks that went told their other lady-friends and close male friends that weren’t there to come this week. So you have most of the people from the 1st night and their curious friends. This night is just as good, if not better, than the 1st night.
  • 3rd night – the dudes that went to the 2nd night have been blabbing all week about the sea of drunk women and cheap drinks from the 2nd night. So it’s a wrap, dudes are now amped to go to the oasis of women they believe will attend the 3rd night. The same women from the 2nd night, and most likely the 1st night as well, are also eager to attend just for the sake of repeating the fun they had the 2nd night
  • *4th night – if the drink specials weren’t cut the 3rd night, they are by now. And the women that went to the first 3 nights aren’t in attendance because too many of the wrong type of dudes came to the 3rd night and changed the atmosphere. This party is pretty much a sausage-fest (in other words, wack).
Regardless, even if Cut & Paste ultimately suffers the fate of "mainstream-ism" that ultimately pollutes the competition's original intent, you can't take away from the fact that each and everyone of the contestants (now and in the future) are experts in the field of graphic design. And its always a pleasure to watch an expert in motion...doing what they love.

Oh yeah, the entire competition was in German.

Cheers.

3 comments:

Joshua said...

Please to be explaining the first paragraph of this blog. Who is this "she" to whom you refer? What does "she" have to do with the rest of the entry?

Kadija said...

I'm with Josh (again) who is "she"

Anonymous said...

My favorite blog entry by FAR!!!