Monday, November 26, 2007

Man, I Took Some Good Pictures Today...

It all started at the Hauptbahnhof ("main train station") as I was coming up from the U-Bahn. I caught my first glimpse of sunlight since sometime in the middle of last week (if not before that)...


Then, as the Monday morning status meeting began, I realized the only thing missing from this picture was my camera. So I politely excused myself, and when I returned...


Towards the end of the meeting, while in deep focus trying my best to pick out as many German words as possible (i.e. head down while staring intently into the face of my watch), a sort of "Magic Eye" thing took place where I saw the "image behind the image". I thought to myself, This would be a raw picture...too bad the camera can't get in that close. Wait...it just might....Can't hurt to try. Lemme turn the sound off first [the camera makes beeping and clicking sounds as you take, select and delete pictures].

Once the sound was off, it took a couple tries but I got it...


The guy to the left is Pascal, the spontaneously cooky guy in the office, and the guy to the right is Peer, the stylish paisan who always wears a scarf around the office. I love how I got the pen, the cup, the clouds and the sunlit silhouettes all in one shot from the reflection in my watch...at a Monday morning meeting much less.

Heading back to the office after lunch, I was treated to this...


The big cylindrical building in the background of all the traditional German apartment buildings is the building that is not only next to our office, but also constructed by the same architect. You can sort of see it from here, but all of the windows are triangular just like ours--only our building is shaped like a trapezoid that juts out towards the water. Aww shucks. I didn't take this picture today, but just so you know what I'm talking about, here...


The day progressed and I found out I was to accompany one of my colleagues on an inspection tomorrow. So towards the end of the day, I headed to her office so we could go over the specifics. I saw her desk, and those of the two adjacent to hers, and it reminded me of the cluttered appraisers' desks back home. But in typical European fashion, there's was done a bit more tastefully...


A couple hours more past, and it was time to call it a night. But not before I caught "Reflections (pt. 2)". See, the funny thing about the office is that regardless of the weather during the day, the view from the office at night is always beautiful. The blue lights of the nearby bridge and surrounding buildings never fail to perfectly frame the Main river with its wavy tranquility and reflected lights. Here you get a glimpse into my world as well.


And like that [*poof*], I disappeared into the night.

Cheers.

7 comments:

Kadija said...

This last photo is now my desktop photo and it will rotate with the photo from the meeting; you are so very good a capturing the right shot, I can't wait to see how you 'snap' the rest of Europe

Frankfurt Freddie said...

*blushing*

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

so they don't mind that you're taking pictures of them while they're trying to work?

Frankfurt Freddie said...

When they come out this good, who can complain?!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your 12/12 posting. How did you get so good at directions anyway? Must be ingrained, instictive or something. Oh, I rememver. I first noticed it in you at 2.

Be safe and take it easy.

Mom

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the misspellings in my earlier post. I'm tired.

Mom

Anonymous said...

Great work.