Monday, November 12, 2007

Stuff That Should be on the Tape

Yes, I will make a post about my trip to Heidelberg last Saturday. It's just that I have found that "picture reel" blogs take the longest to write because, quite anti-intuitively, uploading pics from a Mac is very user unfriendly. You have to go into the iPhoto Library, but you can't search for pics from the folders that you create in iPhoto. Nor can you search from the "end-product" film rolls that you separate your library by. You can only search by "Originals" and "Modified." So lets say you want to upload 6 photos from a given roll--3 are portrait shots (meaning, in iPhoto, you have to rotate the landscape photo your camera took--in other words, "modified") and the other 3 are landscape. In order to upload them all, you have to constantly switch between your "originals" and "modified" folders. In other words, they don't allow you to just select from the "final cut" roll that has modified and original photos how you want them to be. Furthermore, blogger only lets you upload one photo at a time...so the more photos, the longer. Back to iPhoto uploads though. I could go off on how the actual screen that you have to scroll through to find the pics is cumbersome as well, but the real kicker is this...if you rename a photo in iPhoto, it doesn't carry through to the upload screen. So you basically have to remember that alpha-numeric camera designated name for each and every uploaded photo. Then to top it off, blogger doesn't input the photo where your cursor is, it always puts it at the top of the blog. So needless to say when I'm on photo number 10 and am a good ways down the blog, I have to scroll to the top, highlight, Ctrl+X, then scroll to the place at the bottom of the document, Ctrl+V.

But this isn't even supposed to this blog's rant.

I could write about today's tiff between myself and the landlord (and his non-English-speaking-but-English-understanding wife).

I could also write about how a little email I sent to my boss in DC, detailing how my time in Germany has been thus far, made it all the way up to the company's top brass (including the CEO). This is a good thing.

I could talk about how I struggle with internalizing the differences in how valuation in Germany and valuation in DC puts together ARGUS models. I mean I fully understand how they do what they do and, I think, why they do it like they do it...I'm just wondering is it, dare I say, incorrect...or is it acceptable in that is adheres to proper valuation methodology and/or financial modeling. Going further,
  1. I need to understand this for the paper I have to write when I get back; and
  2. I thought I was going to be building models from scratch, but I'm actually just updating a lot of their models. If it is indeed incorrect, should I say something and if so, how without sounding like the arrogant and/or condescending American?
I could talk about how I didn't go out on Saturday (when I had the company car mind you) and the primary reason why was because it was outside my comfort-zone (I really didn't feel like going out, I was tired, I'm typically not a "club-person" and I felt this atmosphere was going to be all American soldiers and their sprung German teeny-boppers, I was enjoying my Skype-chat with Kadija, etc.).

The thing is, all this has less to do with an actual foreign experience, and more to do with my internalization of normal situations that just happen to be overseas. And that's not cool.

As for the landlord thing...I REALLY don't want to get into it cause it'll get me heated, but it basically has to do with people forcing your hand, given the circumstance, but still doing so in such a way where respect is given but not reciprocated because it's not necessary on their end.

The email thing basically shows how well-placed things, no matter how little, go very far.

The ARGUS thing deals with a recurring problem of mine in when I try to explain myself. If I go in my natural format, people who don't know me or aren't familiar with me either think I'm speaking too fast or too aggressively. Me knowing this, I try to slow up...but then it can come off condescending to others as if I'm talking down to them like they're stupid. Furthermore, I end up missing/forgetting some of the rapid fire points that shoot through my brain because I'm still busy explaining the point from 5 minutes ago. So in actuality its me that comes off looking stupid when I forget what my next point is.

Finally, my comfort-zone. Good and bad things can happen when you venture into the unknown. Unfortunately, its the pessimist in me that typically prevails. Knowing that I'm outside the country, now's definitely not the time to play scaredy-hermit-crab. *But what if you're car gets stolen* *What if you drink and leave thinking (and knowing) you're sober and get pulled over on the Autobahn* *What if its wack and you end up leaving like 30 minutes after you get there?* *Its raining, what if you get in an accident?*

YEAH, well what if you go and have a GREAT time...regardless of how it transpires?!

See, this type of stuff has nothing to do with Frankfurt...it should to be on the tape, not written here. Yet here I am, explaining my personal trials and tribs to you all...and still a day behind on blogs.

Cheers.

1 comment:

Kadija said...

You'll forget all about it next weekend when the Skins beat the Cowboys in Dallas, at least you have that to look forward to.