Thursday, January 21, 2010

Friz'z Top 5

  1. Tupac
  2. Jay-Z
  3. Eminem
  4. Ghostface
  5. Redman
They ask every artist this question on allhiphop, so I figure I'd address it myself.

Tupac
This example sums it up as best as I can describe it. When quoted by non-rap publications, all other rappers are first mentioned either by their stage name--"Rapper 'Fabolous' said, 'I like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch.'"--or by their name with their stage name in the middle--"Music mogul Sean 'P. Diddy' Combs said, I like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on my yacht on Tuesdays with a side of Malaysian breast milk.'" Tupac Shakur was the ONLY rapper to be quoted/mentioned by non-rap publications by his name alone--"Rapper Tupac Shakur said, 'F*** peanut butter and jelly, I make my own sandwiches with 2 butter pecan 'Ricans.'" Quite simply, he was and currently is, the only rapper bigger than his name. And he would have meant SO much more to us had he lived to see the age of at least 30.

Jay-Z
What he has accomplished musically and financially is the 'platinum standard' for all aspiring baller rappers (i.e. 99 percent of em...and he's 100% respected by the remaining 1% for his lyrical ability and what he's accomplished). It's like being the 4x over chip leader at the no limit hold 'em table. You can fold as many hands as you want til you get the grand slam of a hand you want, or you can call anyone's bluff that you want to erase from the table.

Eminem
I could spend very long explaining this one, but I need to get to bed and I promised I'd keep my blogs short. Quite simply, he's the Hank Aaron of rap.

Ghostface & Redman
These both were and are my favorite rappers cause I feel they are...genuine. And I mean that in the sense that when they're not in the booth, I feel they'd be just as entertaining...only not rhyming. Ghost's stories and Red's metaphors are absolutely...they come from somewhere else and for someone, anyone to have the ability to capture it in the fashion that they do is...amazing.

Cheers.

No comments: