Tuesday, January 12, 2010

NoMaHst Land

Talk about an epiphany.

A lil' background. The neighborhood association to which my residence belongs is called the "Capitol Hill North Neighborhood Association", otherwise known as "CHNNA" (everytime I get an email from the google group I see "China"--but that's getting away from the point). A pet peeve of mine (I'll include it on #2) is when an emerging or transitional neighborhood that is adjacent to an established neighborhood tries to throw a directional suffix at the end of the established neighborhood in order to swagger-jack the established neighborhood's name. You see this a lot in Montgomery County where White Flint is now called "Bethesda North" and Gaithersburg (around Montgomery College) is now called "Rockville North". Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Burleith or Glover Park was once called "Georgetown North" by some overzealous real estate agent trying to make a sale on an over-priced listing.

Needless to say, the name "Capitol Hill North" has been a splinter in my mind for the longest. While I understand why--the housing stock is quite similar and Florida Avenue does make a good northern boundary--I still don't agree and it strikes me as the quick fix for a neighborhood that has always had its own distinct identity separate from "Capitol Hill" (H Street has always been the unofficial but visual boundary between these two worlds). Moreover, given the introduction of the New York Avenue Metro Station (to the west) in the early 2000's and the re-emergence of H Street as a destination entertainment corridor (to the east) in the mid- to late- 2000's, I feel that the boundaries should be expanded east of the current 8th Street demarcation. Personally, I feel that the character/atmosphere of the area is best defined by the triangular boundaries of Florida Ave to the north and east, H Street to the south (maybe G Street if you want to get it all) and the railroad tracks to the west. With this area definition, you get the full scope of the area:
  • Homes Adjacent to the Tracks - homes that are less "architecturally significant" but well-located given the proximity to the metro; additionally, given the prevalence of industrial zoning that still remains around this area, the area has the upside of redevelopment potential for large scale mixed-use or residential projects in the future
  • East End Homes (east of 9th) - homes that also aren't as "architecturally significant" as those in the "Heart", but are also well-located given the proximity to the entertainment side of H Street (both these and the above will serve as good rental stock over the long term
  • Homes in the "Heart" - these are the homes that are roughly between 4th, 8th, H and L. The stock and size is nearly identical to those of 2-stories on Capitol Hill; these homes probably sell for the most north of H street given they're perfect starter homes for young couples looking to start a family, most of which have English Basements, and, from Fall 2008 to probably July of 2009, were affordable.
  • H Street - the "spine" of the area that all those within the area use in one way or another--whether to travel (auto or public transit), entertain, or satisfy basic needs (i.e. Rite Aid, Chinese/Fast Food, small grocers, etc.)--and others outside the area travel to for entertainment purposes
  • G Street - the most expensive homes in the area due to their proximity to Capitol Hill--indicating the influence, albeit somewhat limited, the adjacent neighborhood has on our neighborhood...let me put it this way: I bet we go into Eastern Market and Barracks Row and their local corner stores and laundromats as much as they come to H Street, Florida Ave Market and use the NY Ave Metro.
The name for this area a few years back was "Near Northeast", but somehow that got lost in the shuffle. So, for the longest, I've been racking my brain trying to think of a clever name. It came when I least expected it. I was in Sova on H Street and looking at their blackboard of drinks inspired by D.C.'s local neighborhoods and streets. I didn't see my specific area and I made a mention of such to the bartender saying something to the effect of, "I'm trying to think of a name for where I live to use for a drink but its kind of a No Man's Land..." And then I realized it...

The emerging commercial area west of the train tracks is called "NoMa" for "North of Massachusetts Avenue. This is the commercial area that many people that live in my immediate area (adjacent to the tracks) are pinning some of our hopes to in that it'll be bringing jobs and a Harris Teeter grocer to the area. I thought for a second of maybe calling it "NoMaD's Land"--in honor of those who ventured like nomads to this area over the last several years to buy and live (yes, I know there have been people that have been living here for 30 years plus and they're quick to scream gentrification, but I'm meaning "venturing" in a more economical/future sense in that they were willing to take a chance, with their money, for what they felt was a good deal in light of future goods/services and upside they had faith would come to the area...hate it or love it, call it what you will).

But how do you explain the "D".

What if you replaced it with an "H" and threw "st" at the end...

"NoMaHst Land"

It probably looks better on a map. And if it were to get used as a designation, I'm sure there'd be plenty of jocular variations in the vein of "No Mas Land" or even back to "Nomad's Land"...but at least its better than riding the sweaty ball sack of Capitol Hill.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers.

No comments: